NOTE RE Transfer Stamp

Current as of October 15, 2012

A Real Estate Transfer Stamp must be obtained prior to the conveyance of any property located within Elgin city limits. The City of Elgin Finance Department should be contacted at least three to five days before a property closing takes place in order to complete the following requirements:

  • Conduct a property search for code violations, which must be acknowledged by the buyer. If the property has been vacant, an inspection by the City of Elgin Code Administration Department may be necessary prior to the issuance of the Real Estate Transfer Stamp.
  • Conduct a search of City records for outstanding debts owed to the City by the seller (including final water bill); All amounts due to the City must be paid prior to the issuance of a Real Estate Transfer Stamp.
  • Schedule a final water meter reading.
  • Submit a completed City Real Estate Transfer Stamp Form by the seller.
  • Submit a photocopy of the State Real Estate Transfer Declaration Form and the deed by the seller.

Back to Elgin home